Sunday, February 26, 2023

Why Journalism?


Growing up, I was always the child who would look up at the ceiling when someone said that the word “gullible” was written on it. This was not because I lacked common sense or was unintelligent but rather because I was naive. 


I used to trust the opinions and statements of others over my own, and I never took anyone as a liar, either. Not only did I see the best in people, but I saw truth in them as well.


I remember people constantly telling me that “adults know best,” so I never thought I would ever have to question the credibility of someone older and wiser than me.


The older I got, the more I realized I was not the only one, that many others struggle with differentiating fact from fiction and that their judgements have been clouded by rumors, fake news, and other people’s views.


This completely shifted my mindset, and ultimately, my future ahead. It was at this point that I knew I wanted to help those like me: the ones labeled as “gullible” or “naive.”


Most of the words I heard and the media I consumed were nothing but the biases of others. Upon realizing this, I knew that somehow, someway, I would find a way to change that.


The world of media is at a crossroads. Never before has there been so much information AND misinformation circulating around. 


As a broadcast journalist, I want to push the communications pendulum away from bias and sensationalism and towards truth.


I want to make a career out of spreading awareness, not self-serving equivocations and misrepresentations. I want to serve the public by providing them with real, authentic news, regardless of how bad and ugly it may seem because that is the job of a true broadcast journalist. 


In choosing to pursue a career within this field, I know that it will be my duty to always do what is right and just in the eyes of the people.


I cannot act on my own personal feelings and biases, I must synthesize and frame information fairly to ensure that all parties are heard, especially those that have been historically undervalued. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Journo Heroes, Pt. 2

  Barbara Walters was born on September 25, 1931, in Boston, Massachusetts to parents, Dena Selett and Lou Walters. Barbara’s home life was ...